Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Promised Land?

Let me start off by saying that I completely understand the excitement over Barak Obama as President. I hope he does an incredible job leading our country and he's been in my prayers since election night. I thought his inaugural speech was the best I've heard in a long, long time. I was moved to tears at times, and inspired. But over and over again today I heard about this being the fulfillment of MLK's dream. I don't disagree that it is a major step that our nation should be proud of, but I think Dr. King would be pressing forward to see a day where having an African American man becoming the President wouldn't be a big deal, but so commonplace that his race is overlooked. I feel that we're still a nation focused on race, by everyone, and that, my friends was NOT the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. Until we as an entire nation are capable of objectively judging a man on the content of his character, and not solely on the basis of his color alone, the dream remains just that, a goal yet to be attained.

What are your thoughts?
blog comments powered by Disqus