Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Poison Control

This afternoon I was at work when my cell phone rang.  Holly called to let me know she had to call poison control for our son.

Holly is such a GREAT mom.  I have no idea how she gets everything done around the house with 2 babies.  Claire Kate isn't moving yet, but Trey is into everything!  I think if we had a pet raccoon it would get into less than Trey does.  When he is awake he is constantly moving.  We decided early on that we would let our kids be kids and enjoy life, so we let Trey explore.  Holly and I give him boundaries, but he's pretty free to play and move.

Today, Trey was awake during one of Claire Kate's meals.  Holly was watching him, but it's impossible to follow Trey while she is breast feeding.  He came in the room holding a squeeze tube.  No big deal! He carries things around the house all the time.  As Trey got closer Holly could see that there was white cream around his mouth, and he was chewing.  Holly put Claire Kate down and found that our son had confiscated Desitin diaper rash ointment from Baby Girl's bag.  He helped himself to a couple of squeezes, and seemed quite happy about it.  It says on the tube, and I quote, "For external use only.  If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away."  Oh great!  So, Holly called them, and they instructed her to give him something to drink.  She did just as they said, and he never acted like there was anything wrong.  They also called a few hours later to check on him, which I thought was nice.

Anyway, this was our first call to Poison Control as parents.  I anticipate it won't be the last with a little pet coon, Desitin eater on our hands.
blog comments powered by Disqus